Friday, June 27, 2008

Life is good


Today is my first day of retirement. I don't think it has sunk in yet. I may not feel the full impact until September when everyone else returns to work while I merely yawn and roll over. Someone, peel me a grape. Please. Thanks ever so.

It has been a very busy week, but I am happy to say much of it has been in the form of celebration. One very special celebration took place yesterday morning. But first a little background. For a number of years I did a fund raiser for the school library; it was called the Library Cafe. As with all things, it came to an end. There are a number of reasons why I had to end it, but we all missed it. Well, yesterday morning, when I walked into the library for the last time as a full-time employee, my colleagues had set up the Library Cafe. In addition to coffee, there was a buffet with cakes, muffins, Danish, bagels, croissants, and many other items. It was such a delightful and heartwarming surprise. Many of my colleagues and friends drifted in and out all morning. We sat and reminisced about "the old days" and other wonderful memories...and a few not so good memories that we can now laugh about. It was a perfect last day.

I was stunned by the gifts I received. My house looks like a flower shop. As you all know, my pictures leave a lot to be desired. But now I will have time to improve that skill. I will start tomorrow...or maybe next week.


Here are some of the gifts I received. The pendant is actually a beautiful cushion cut green stone and the earrings have crystals in the center. The watch is also really beautiful. I love the interchangeable straps. Note to my Pink Friends: one of them is PINK. The gift certificate is for my very favorite restaurant. That was given to me by my younger friends. We had a lovely party last Friday at a Mexican restaurant and later adjourned to a friend's nearby apartment. That was also a memorable event and lots of fun. I even forgot that I was old enough to be everyone's mother.





And one of my very favorites was from Carolyn. There is a little story to this one. I will share it with you. One day Carolyn offered me a slice of her home-made lemon pound cake. Oh my goodness! It was lemon heaven in my mouth. So her gift to me was a copy of the recipe with some of the ingredients packed in a bundt cake pan. And a giant Retirement coffee mug. Just perfect for our morning coffee chats.



Oh dear, Buddha's belly is sticking out. I did mention that I was going to start working on the photography thing, didn't I? In a month or two.
Well now, you know two things must happen. First, I will post Carolyn's pound cake recipe.
Second, it's once again time for a giveawy. It's not just a giveawy... it's a RETIREMENT GIVEAWAY. So because retirement means no work for me, my giveaway means no work for you! No quiz, no questions. All you have to do is leave a comment. The fragrance of this month's gift is appropriately, Strawberries and Champagne. Winner will be announced July 3.

Now for Carolyn's Lemon Pound Cake Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 pound of sweet butter
1/2 pound or cream cheese (8 oz.)
2 cups sugar
2 cups Presto Cake Flour
6 eggs
2 Tablespoons of lemon extract

Beat butter, sugar, cream cheese, egg yolks, and lemon extract together. Add flour, beat at medium speed for 4 minutes. Beat egg whites for two minutes at high speed. Fold into batter. Bake in a greased 10-inch tube pan. for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Marie~ Let your new LIFE begin!!! I am so happy for you~S

Susan - InHerOwnWords said...

CONGRATULATIONS MARIE! How exciting! Enjoy this special time. You've worked very hard to get here! xoxo

Cathy said...

Congratulations Marie, Now you spend all your time making your amazing soaps. Love them my sweet!

xo Cath

Carolyn Kocman said...

Congratulations, my friend! the end of an era...the beginning of a new one! may your days be filled with bubbles.

what lovely gifts you received. you must be well respected and loved by your coworkers! it will be good to have you here more often.

carolyn
the odd sparrow

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie, I am thrilled for you. But you do know you will be busier now than ever don't you? But yep, you can roll back over and go back to sleep. Did that this morning until 10 a.m. ....yikes...Then I jumped out of bed and ran to the computer to make sure my scheduled MMP beach blog post was up. :)

Patricia said...

Congratulations Marie!! So are you going to have so much time, you're going to go beyond cupcakes onto Bundt cake soaps? Now that would be a soap on a rope. Enjoy what you have worked so long and hard to get to.

Pat

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh several times as I read on and on about how you'd work on your photography tomorrow, then in a week.. then in a month or two. If you wait long enough.. you'll learn at the retreat!
I can feel your happiness in your writing. This it IT. This is YOUR time!
xxoo, MB

gail said...

Happy New Day to YOU!!! Congratulations. Above all, enjoy your new business and be happy. luv, gail

Dianne Long said...

Marie! I'm so happy for you, you are such an inspiration in making your dreams come true. You will soon find yourself wondering how in the world you ever had time to work at a "away" job! Have fun every chance you get! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am now craving lemon pound cake. I'll print it out for my hubby, he's the baker here.

Enjoy!!
Dianne

Deb said...

Yay! Now you can sleep in every day and only do what YOU want to do....right??? LOL Enjoy!!!

Pink hugs,
Debbie

Mistress Meeyee said...

Hope you have the best retirement,I hope it is fun and relaxing! Awesome!

Cynthia said...

Congrats on your retirement!

Noelle Garrett Designs said...

Congratulations Marie! I hope you enjoy your eternal weekend!
hugs,
Carrie

SoCal Helene said...

Again, Congratulations Marie! Now you have time to work on the body parts…..or not!! Enjoy!
Helene

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Now out of the stacks and onto your next adventure!
Susan *dutchrose*

Finding Grace, Going Mobile said...

Marie,
It is so incredible to watch your business changing and growing in the direction of your dreams. I truly envy your retirement, and wish you the best.
Grow young with Savon Marie,
The best is yet to be.......
Theresa @ Cottage Violets

Inka Smith said...

Marie,
Well you lucky dog. Retiring and doing what you love. You go girlie. Your business is going places and I am so happy for you.
Inka

Silena said...

Way to go, Marie....congratulations on your retirement....you'll never know how you got so much done and work at regular job, too. Enjoy every moment!!


Welcome!
Hello Everyone,Welcome to my new blog . And I really mean new. This is all so new to me, but I am sure I will soon be up to speed. I knew it was time to create a blog when I started feeling that I was missing too much fun. I plan to share ideas, favorite things, and information. I love making soaps and toiletries, so you can be sure to see some ideas and tips related to bath and body care. I have so many favorite things; I hope to share them with you in fun ways. Enjoy your visit.